Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Eating Away Cancer

I'm back on quarterly PET scans with one coming up later this week. I'll also be hearing about old drugs, new drugs, new trials and other melanoma-related updates. I will listen to see if there is anything that I haven't already read about. While many doctors are frustrated that patients do their own research (my husband's internist has a sign in his office that says,"I don't care what Dr. Oz says"), my doctors are receptive to my showing up armed with new questions about what I've heard or read.

My frustration is, and has always been, that oncologists are not taking the initiative in promoting good nutrition and eliminating the things in our lives that weaken our immune systems.  I'm not asking them to promise that good nutrition can cure cancer; but, neither can they promise that traditional cancer treatments will cure us. Statistics are clear on the re-occurrence of cancer after traditional treatments when no changes in lifestyle are present.

This will bore the cancer-free readers out there; but 41% of Americans will get cancer and 21% of then will die from it.  You or someone you love may be in that statistic. Early in my diagnosis, I realized that the main-stream treatments recommended by my oncologists were not going to get the job done, especially for melanoma. I would have to take an active part in my healing. These three books have given me a wealth of information on increasing my odds of winning this cancer battle:

They all have a nutrition cancer-fighting component, as well as, great tips for more healthful living. For example, did you know you can soak your fruit and vegetables in water and cheap vinegar if you don't have access to organic? Trust me, you can benefit from these books. SOMETHING is wrong in this country that is making so many people sick, and our immune systems aren't equipped to fight it. Here's help for our wonderfully-made bodies!

Two great blogs have been added to my daily reading. My dermatologist niece referred me to a blog by 36-year-old Chris Wark.


Faced with stomach cancer and a dismal prognosis at age 26, he took things into his own hands. The onion and garlic findings are stinky, but amazing.

The other blog is much lighter and truly beautiful. I am inspired by Sarah Britton's blog to conjure up lovely, healthful offerings.

I needed to make dinner last night, and I wanted to prepare this sprouted wild rice salad. Thankfully, I read the recipe completely (hah! I've written about that before) and realized it takes three days to sprout that rice.  SO, I used things I already had in my kitchen and came up with this:

The fresh peaches, tomatoes, and okra came home with us from our beach trip. We always stop at a great produce shed in Loxley, Alabama, going and coming.  I couldn't even stand to smell beets BC (before cancer). Think dirt! I discovered that if you roast them, they have a wonderful sweet, roasted flavor. And, who doesn't love fried okra. That's comfort food to Southerners. But, I take a more healthful approach these days without smelling up my house and clogging up my arteries. The okra is lightly coated with olive oil (instead of buttermilk and egg!) and I dusted it with organic polenta, then baked it at 350 degrees until it was brown and crispy. Later in the evening, my husband said, "Thank you for that great salad you made tonight. It was delicious AND healthful." (He's not sold on my organic rice cakes with almond butter for breakfast! One step at a time.)

My disclaimer: I'm not a doctor; but, I learned many years ago when dealing with ailing parents that you have to be your own healthcare advocate. You have the greatest stake in the outcome. I regret that I didn't come to the nutritionally superior table before -- lots of beets to eat to catch up.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; 
your works are wonderful, I know that full well.
Psalm 139:14

4 comments:

  1. Praying for you. A dear friends husband had just about the highest stage melanoma 3 years ago. His doctor actually provided him with health food changes. He bought a cookbook too. He ate some kind of beet soup often!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found your website from Erin's blog, and I am so glad I did! I love this post. I'm an oncology nurse, and let me tell you, it is so scary how many people are affected by cancer. That 41% statistic is crazy! I whole heartedly believe in preventative health and doing all you can to take care of your body- starting with what you put in it. I'm interested to look into those books and maybe recommend them to my patients! Praying for you and full recovery and healing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dermatologist in delhi will take care of your skin related related issues. You just need to mention your troubles and get the best services from the our experts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great article indeed and a very detailed, realistic and superb analysis, of this issue, very nice write up, Thanks.


    Affordable Spay Neuter Services

    ReplyDelete