Sunday, February 19, 2012

Over-Ripe Bananas and the Amish

One of the neat things about living in the Mid-West is an Amish sighting.  Seeing them stoically riding along in their horse-drawn buggies with those precious little Amish children still thrills me like looking out to see the snow silently falling.  During the eight years I was gone from this area, I had forgotten about the weekly Amish Cook column by Lovina Eicher in our Sunday paper.  The column was first written by her mother, Elizabeth Coblentz, who died during the time I lived here before. The format is the same.  There is always an account of what has gone on that week in her life and a recipe that you should always try.

This morning, her column had a recipe for Banana Nut Coffee Cake.  The three over-ripe (nearly rotten!) bananas in a bowl on my counter were about to be tossed; so, I decided to save them from the garbage and try it.  I usually make banana bread (my son’s favorite) with over-ripe bananas, but that gets so boring.  (I’m nursing a sick husband this weekend, so baking was a welcomed diversion.)

I start grabbing all the ingredients and discover that I am out of flour (recall former post on why this is NOT a cooking blog).  I had cake flour, which would probably have worked fine; but, since we also needed some Advil, I escaped to the grocery store.

The recipe calls for a 9x13 pan…also boring.  I had just thrown away the remains of a chicken pot pie I had made from scratch, and a nice round casserole dish was handy.  It’s a nice change and presents a challenge to actually slice and serve!  It was yummy… moist and just sweet enough.  The topping reminds me of my sweet potato casserole recipe.  

Enjoy this Banana Nut Coffee Cake:

Cake:
½ cup oil
½ cup milk
2 eggs
2 mashed bananas
1 cup packed brown sugar
1½ cups flour
1 cup chopped nuts (I used toasted pecans)
1½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon baking soda
            Preheat oven to 350°.  In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients and beat until smooth and creamy.  Pour into a greased 9x13-inch pan.


Topping:
1 cup brown sugar
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
½ cup nuts
2 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons flour
            Combine sugar, cinnamon, flour, nuts and cut in butter.  Sprinkle on top of cake.  



               

Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes.




Cool; but cut yourself a piece while it’s still warm! (Sick boy even managed to pull himself off the sofa to try a piece.)



For more Amish Cook information, “like” The Amish Cook Fan Page.


This is the day the LORD has made; let us rejoice and be glad in it.
Psalm 118:24

1 comment:

  1. Yummy sounding... and yummy looking... now I just need to make it & taste it too! Hope the hubby is feeling better now!

    ReplyDelete